Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Callie Tackles Backgrounds

I believe that all of last week was spent doing backgrounds (a majority of that time figuring out how to use clipping masks). Typically, I don't really like drawing backgrounds because I'm not very good at it and because I have a obsession with drawing eyes and quite obviously there aren't many eyeballs present in backgrounds. So a lack of skill and no eyeballs to draw made me think that I wouldn't really like doing backgrounds, but oh on the contrary, backgrounds are really fun.


It's a challenge I will willingly accept to try over and over again to make the perspective of a room look proper when usually I can just guess at something and it turns out fine. To help myself out I looked up some background samples from animated movies and there's this one from Lilo and Stitch that is absolutely beautiful. Of course I wouldn't be able to use it as reference because it's not what my film looks like, and I highly doubt that with my limited knowledge of Photoshop I would even be able to recreate it. Clipping masks and remembering to put everything on separate layers is literally the bane of my existence. My first background is basically an amalgamation of rookie Ps mistakes, but I promise I will learn!! At least the next few won't be as terrible (AKA I will make more than one layer). I have a new found respect for background artists because everything is a detail that needs to be attended to and making all the components fit together (and look nice) is very difficult. Kudos to the background artists of the world! Peace out!


No comments:

Post a Comment