Monday, September 26, 2016

Bendix Makes Comparisons and Conquers Flash!

Plenty of things have happened this week. I got a package full of Danish (and some Swedish) candy from my parents, we went out dining at a Danish-ish place to test just how Danish it was, we've been playing around with helium balloons, covering our ears because of a fire alarm testing and Cherry left for HK and Japan and won't be back for two weeks ( :( ).

The differences between Canada and Denmark are becoming more and more clear every day. I feel that it's the subtle differences that set us apart, besides the obvious things like architecture, our history and language, it's also our different taste in food and humor that I find deeply interesting. Thus I was pleasantly surprised when three people from the studio actually liked the licorice with salmiakki that I brought in. When we went to the danish restaurant, it seemed that most people liked the food! I won't go into detail about what was wrong and what was right about the food, but all in all it was a fun experience and I was really excited to get to share something danish with the rest of the studio. Ever since I got here, I've become more aware of how much I actually appreciate my own country, and I think I've talked more about Denmark in these two months, than I have in my entire lifetime. It's not because I'm homesick, on the contrary I LOVE being here, and I love how being here has made me more aware of how my own country is put together.

Another thing that I think the entire studio knows by now, is that Sweden and Denmark have a love hate relationship for each other. It's our duty to hate each other and it's deeply rooted in our history, but if I meet a Swedish person outside of Scandinavia, we will greet each other like family! You love the people you hate....yeah?

But more importantly, we don't like to get mixed up, hence why when I showed Darien our Danish beers, Darien and I are no longer friends. It was nice as long as it lasted. Only kidding, Darien is great.


 
And I'm finally conquering Flash! The program is less scary than when I first started out and I'm getting up to speed. I feel like the style of Todd is more natural for me to both draw and animate in, and for the first time in a long time – weekends are becoming a bore, and I genuinely look forward to Mondays so I can come back to work, see people and get cracking with my scenes! I'm so happy that everyone always has time to help and give me advice, as it has really helped making the experience of learning a new program, a lot less scary than it could have been.
 
The scenes are also really fun and challenging and a good mix of having different characters with various traits to keep in mind while portraying them, and a mix of both puppet-animated scenes, and full on skewed hardcore perspective and classically 2D animated scenes. It feels good to try both out and be trusted to do both :)

- Bendix

No comments:

Post a Comment