Monday, June 3, 2013

Lea's Observations: SGS vs Sheridan, and Joel's Plant

Flash seems to be crashing on me, so this is as good a time as any to write a blog post!

It's been an exciting two weeks - David killed the internet, the beer store leaked gas. I'm sure the others have covered these events in their own posts so I'm going to talk about something new. Something fresh! Something even more exciting!

School.

Haha, fooled you. That isn't exciting. I am going to talk about it though. See, I have noted some similarities and differences between my experiences at Sheridan and my experiences here at SGS.  Take lip sync for example. In school it was drilled into our heads to do lip sync last. Do the poses, animate the body, and only - ONLY - when you have that down do you draw in the mouth.

But at Smiley Guy it's backwards! For the past couple of weeks I have been mostly animating one character, and like I was taught in school I started out with animating the body. Then Chris advised to start with lip sync. I was skeptical at first, but I took his advise. Much to my surprise, once you get the mouth and jaw moving the character pretty much animates itself! Well no, not really, but it does add some preemptive life that makes it easier to visualize poses and such. I realize now that symbol animation allows you to do that. Unlike when you are drawing, if you want to change a pose or timing you end up moving/scrapping a lot of frames, but even when you do that with symbols the lip sync animation will still be there. Neat!

Before I sign off I feel I need to pay tribute to a lost member of the studio. I am of course talking about Joel's plant. From my vantage point it appears to be very dead. In its memory I will share with the world a quick painting I did my first week here when I was too shy and uncomfortable to leave my seat during breaks.
Rest In Peace little guy. You will be missed.

(Also Rest In Peace my crashing flash file, which does not seem to be recovering)

No comments:

Post a Comment